Mario is a video game character from the series of his name, the Mario series. He is an Italian plumber like Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi. Being Nintendo's mascot, he is perhaps the most famous and recognizable video game character. His first appearance was in 1981 in the Donkey Kong arcade game. He is a major Nintendo character and has been in every Smash Bros. game since. Mario is one of the four mascot characters of their respective companies that are playable along with Mega Man, Sonic The Hedgehog, and Pac-Man. One of his final smashes is confirmed to be Mario Finale.
- The following attacks are visually unchanged:
- Neutral attack combo
- Dash attack
- All tilts
- All smashes, though in a demo match shown against Mega Man, his down smash appears much stronger in knockback.
- All aerials
- Forward and back throws
- Fast edge attack
- Super Jump Punch
- The Super Jump Punch appears to make a slightly higher-pitched ding on the last hit.
- The jet of water fired by F.L.U.D.D. is thicker. It is unknown whether this is indicative of a boost in power or range.
- Mario retains all of his taunts.